What we do
- house extensions & alterations
- loft conversions; garage conversions; new garages
- individual new dwellings and small multiple house schemes
- barn & outbuilding conversions
- extensions & alterations to commercial & industrial premises
- new build retail premises, industrial units and offices
We can also advise on and assist with selection of contractors and sub-contractors, arranging and administering building contracts, appointing other consultants [project managers, structural and services engineers, planning consultants, quantity surveyors and other specialists] where required.
We aim to give you as much or as little help as you require bringing your project to a satisfactory completion – on time and on budget
How we work
On receipt of an enquiry from a potential client, Owen will arrange to visit you at the project site, to talk through your requirements, sketch out some initial ideas, advise what approvals you are likely to need, and make an initial assessment of any problems you may encounter in obtaining approvals. There is no charge for this initial consultation.
We will then provide you with a written quotation for the fees for our services, and an estimate of the other costs you may need to cover during the design and approvals process. If required, we will provide a separate quotation for our fees for supplementary services [for instance seeking tenders, appointing contractors and arranging and administering contracts]
If this quotation is accepted, we will then contact you to agree an outline timetable for our work.
We will provide you with preliminary drawings for your comment, amend these as requested to meet your requirements, and then develop these into the detailed information package required for applications and for obtaining builders’ prices. We deal with all associated correspondence and keep you informed of progress.
We will consider commissions in any part of the UK, but we work predominantly in the local authority district of Weymouth and Portland and West Dorset.
If you are considering a typical house extension, even if you know exactly what you want, you will normally need help to obtain the necessary consents from the local council [planning permission, building regulations, listed building consent as appropriate] and to obtain quotes from builders.
We can help by
- preparing the necessary plans and supporting information such as specifications, design & access statements
- advising what consents you will need and dealing with the applications
- obtaining specialist services, for instance structural and thermal calculations
- putting you in touch with builders in your area and, if required, helping you to obtain and analyse quotations
- providing all relevant structural calculations and detailing including beams, wind posts, retaining walls and structural foundations.
- For more complex projects, we can
- take your instructions and advise on feasibility [cost, permissions, suitability of site]
- provide preliminary designs, and alternative ideas for your consideration
- prepare detailed drawings for applications and for obtaining quotations
- prepare supplementary documents such as specifications, design statements
- advise on the need for associated consultant services and help you with appointing these
- deal with applications for approvals, and coordination of other consultants’ information
- help with obtaining tenders and selection and appointing of builders and sub-contractors
- deal with administration of building contracts
- advise on obtaining building guarantees
We are not ‘architects’, as this title is protected by law and is only available to individuals who are registered with ARCUK: we do however aim to provide an equivalent range of services for the scale of projects we undertake. If we believe you would be better served by employing a registered architect for your project, we will point this out and will assist you to find a suitable firm.